Welcome to Community Church! We continue our celebration of Pentecost 2017 as we focus on HEALING AND THE HOLY SPIRIT today! We appreciate the involvement of Mary and Sophia Lee who will be doing a special liturgical dance in our service today. Pastor Dave will go deeper into Healing and the Holy Spirit at our evening worship time tonight. May we have open eyes and ears as we receive His teaching and experience a special blessing through the Spirit today!
New Adult Bible Study Begins Today! Arnie S. will lead a class called “Basic Concepts in Christian Growth.” This class for adults and teens will meet in the Godwin Room from 11:15 AM to noon each Sunday throughout the summer.
Next Sunday, we will witness the installation of our new Council members: Deb D. and Dave K. as Elders and Bill H., Allison K. and Cory M. as Deacons. We will also be saying thanks to Dave A. and Kim H. who have completed their terms as Elders and Janice P. and Bonnie T. who have completed their terms as Deacons. Pray for God’s blessings upon our installation service next week.
– Gloria V. is at Butterworth Hospital and will soon be transferred to another facility for Hospice Care. Let’s ask God to bless Gloria and her family with peace and comfort as they go through this time.
– Terri S. has returned home following emergency stomach surgery last week. Terri would like to thank those that remembered her with prayer, cards, calls and visits. Let’s continue to remember her in prayer for physical healing and comfort.
Possible Book Club: Several people have mentioned reading the book Pastor Dave mentioned last week about the 24/7 houses of prayer by Pete Grieg called Dirty Glory. If there is sufficient interest, Pastor Dave will lead a weekly group to discuss the book during the month of August. Interested? Sign up on the sheet on the table in the lobby or talk to Pastor Dave.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL:
Cave Quest: Following Jesus Light of the World
JULY 10-13 6:30-8:30 PM
For children age 3 to 12
Cave Quest will be a great time of Bible stories, skits, games, crafts, dance, snacks and even dance! Registration will begin next Sunday, June 25. To sign your kids up for this year’s VBS simply fill out the back of the flyer provided in your bulletin and return it to Becky Lee!
NEED LIST for 2017 VBS:
▪ One cardboard refrigerator box (unflattened) Contact Deb D. if you are able to provide this item.
▪ Three bags of 25 count 9” balloons (color does not matter)
▪ CRAFT PREP VOLUNTEERS: Each Thursday between now and VBS a craft is prepared. Help would be much appreciated; the group meets Thursdays from 10 AM to noon. If you have any questions, please speak with Kay V.
▪ CANVASSERS: Teachers, helpers, parents, students and anyone who knows somebody involved in VBS are invited to help pass flyers to neighborhood homes on Wednesday, July 5 at 6:30 PM. Mark your calendar and plan to share the exciting news of VBS!
▪ FROZEN TREATS: donations of frozen treats are sought for the evening of VBS. Please speak with Becky Lee if you are able to help fill this need.
Woman’s Fall Gathering: Eyes Wide Open, featuring author and speaker Sherry Harney, will be Thursday September 14, from 7-9 PM at Cascade Fellowship CRC. Plan to take advantage of the Early bird ticket price of only $10 between July 1 and August 15. This low cost includes a copy of her new book, Praying with Eyes Wide Open, A Life-Changing Way to Talk to God (retail $14.99). Regular ticket price of $15 begins August 16; please note regular pricing does not include a copy of the book. Mark your calendar for this refreshing evening of encouragement! Registration info will be available next Sunday.
Community Church Flea Market and Neigborhood Block Sale:
SATURDAY, JULY 15 from 9 AM – 3 PM
The church will be having a flea market and neighborhood residents will be holding sales at their homes. The event will be well publicized and we anticipate bringing in lots of traffic, so sales should do well!
To Sell: Spaces are $15 each or $20 including one table. Please speak with Tamra Poll to reserve your space.
Community Church Bake Sale Table: Donations of baked goods will be accepted to be sold during the flea market. If you would like to donate, please sign up on the sheet in the lobby.
Sale Items Not Being Accepted by the Church: Please note we will NOT have a Community Gold table so we will NOT be accepting donations of items to be sold. If you have items to sell you may reserve a space to sell, offer items to others who are planning to sell, or donate them to a local resale store.
GR SECTION 8 ASSITANCE: The Grand Rapids Housing Commission (GRHC) will accept new applicants to our Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program until June 30, 2017. You must apply during this open enrollment period to be included in the random lottery that will add 5,000 households to the GRHC’s Section 8 waiting list. Elizabeth Kephart is able to help register families; email her at [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
PLEASE PRAY FOR THE PERSECUTED: Front-line workers in a Southeast Asian nation take great risks to baptize new believers from one of the many communist country’s many tribal groups. In the last few decades there has been a great turning to Christ by many of the tribal groups, especially among the Hmong and Khmu people. Police sometimes raid village churches and confiscate Bibles, and arrest, beat and even imprison believers. Still, these workers can’t keep silent about what Christ has done in their lives and lives of others.