Our history began in 1943 when our parent church, Godwin Heights CRC, rented a room in Bigelow Stadium and held Sunday School class for 7 children. The sign above the door read ‘Godwin Gospel Chapel’.
In 1945, we constructed and moved into a new building at our current location. The structure had a simple floor plan with the sanctuary located upstairs and one big room in the basement.
In 1953 the structure was renovated, dividing the basement to accommodate four classrooms.
In 1969 the chapel went through another renovation, adding offices, classrooms and a nursery.
The year 1970 was a big year for us as the name was changed to 'Community Church' and we called our first full-time ordained Pastor, Herm Schutt.
Community Church would call our second pastor, Peter Brink, in 1976 who would serve until 1985.
Community officially became an organized member of the Christian Reformed Church in April 1984.
Having been without a pastor for a year, Community Christian Reformed Church would call newly ordained minister David Struyk as its third pastor.
Under the leadership of Pastor Dave, Community CRC has grown in ministry, membership, square footage. A larger sanctuary was added to its building in 1994. Our first seminarian was called in 1998 and a paid part-time secretary was added to its staff. A second morning worship service began in 2001. Mobile Food Truck began coming monthly in 2002. Ministry continued to expand, staff members were added, needs were changing, and finally in 2007 church leaders and members began discussing and fundraising for Building Community for Tomorrow.
In 2016 Community opened its newest building addition which included handicap accessible entrances, expanded lobby and fellowship space, easily accessible nursery, multi-stall restrooms, more classrooms, main floor offices and more. The facility expansion opened doors for ministry not felt before; for example: Multiple ministries can meet at the same time and those with physical limitations can participate. Basically we can more effectively welcome guests and members in the name of Christ!